The Island’s Architecture Once Again Underwent Significant Changes: A Part from The Book Chapter : A Historical Overview of Seismic –Resilient Architecture in Cyprus

architecture

During the British colonial period which lasted from 1878 to 1960, the island’s architecture once again underwent significant changes. The British introduced a new architectural style known as colonial architecture, characterized by large verandas, high ceilings, and the use of local stone. Many buildings constructed during this period, such as the St. John’s Cathedral in Nicosia, reflect this style. In the post-independence period, starting from 1960 there was a resurgence of interest in traditional Cypriot architecture, particularly in rural areas. Traditional stone-built houses with red-tiled roofs and wooden shutters became popular, and many historic buildings were restored and repurposed as museums, cultural centers, and restaurants. Following the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974 there was a large influx of refugees from the north to the southern part of the island, which led to the development of informal settlements to house the displaced population. These settlements were often made up of casual structures, which were constructed quickly and with limited resources.

Author(s) Details:

Georgios Xekalakis,
Frederick Research Center, Pallouriotissa, Nicosia 1036, Cyprus.

Petros Christou,
Frederick University Cyprus, Y. Frederickou 7, Nicosia 1036, Cyprus.

To Read the Complete Chapter See Here

Leave a Reply